Flutter By

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Exhausted, Frustrated, But Improving

Chest tubes are out as of this morning!  That means a huge reduction in her pain.  I am told that a chest tube feels a lot like a butterknife stuck in your ribs.  She is finally able to play and crawl comfortably again without morphine!  We will need to be here at least one more week while they continue to monitor and treat an infection in her mediastinum, the space outside her esophagus.  (No trip to Oregon yet, boo!)  Still on TPN, no food allowed by stomach. When I need to eat, I leave the room.  The sight and smell is torture for her.  Waiting on a full second opinion from Boston Children's, and we're now to the point where we're strongly considering either a hospital transfer or a trip there for her care in the near future.
The visit from Justin and the kids was sooo great!
As we'd anticipated, surgery did recommend the stent.  Their plan was to place it, monitor it one week later, then remove it after four weeks.  Although Dr Rollins and Barnhart have used this same procedure on four patients successfully over the past three years, and are in the process of publishing a paper about it, we felt like the details of 3-yr-old Brayton's passing were too close to home, the timing of that story coming to us too much of a coincidence.  We declined the procedure.   Doing so may have extended our hospital stay, but from our viewpoint the risks just weren't worth it.  We did learn that BCH does use stents but only uses them for a 3-day period for healing a diverticulum.
 
She was also removed from droplet precaution today (which means she can go on wagon rides again, yay!) and we are scheduled for a chest CT scan to check for abscesses, which they suspect might be present based on yesterday's labs. Thank you for all the support and encouragement. Yesterday was exhausting.  The esophagram showed no real change in the diverticulum, and the surgeons here initially said they want to keep her as an inpatient until it heals over--- but that could be a month, it could be never-- so I think they'll just reevaluate things next Monday when they do their next esophagram.  That news was a blow.  I had really thought we were heading home in the next couple of days, once the chest tubes were out, but our usual surgeon Dr Downey helped us understand how serious the infection is in her throat, which is still being treated with picc line antibiotics.  Part of my heartbreak is that I will miss a special wedding out in Oregon next week that I've been anticipating for months.  
 
Time with our family together definitely cheered her up!
 We also had our first telephone consult with Boston Children's EA department, but their second opinion was incomplete yesterday because they did not have all of her data yet.  Still, our conversation was great and I was truly impressed.  We are carefully considering the logistics, pros and cons of going there while trying to maintain the great relationship we have with our surgeon here.  We greatly value his advice.  Our surgeon loves Audrey and has spent a LOT of time talking with us and doing all he can to help her; he is wonderful and very protective of her.  Essentially, he is not convinced that Boston Children's Esophageal Atresia Program has more to offer there than we have here, so we are working on doing all of our homework with cool heads and asking a lot of questions of both sides.  It is tough.   I am trying to sort out what is fact and what is opinion. Very stressful.  Boston claims to have the premiere treatment center for Esophageal Atresia, and first hand reports from dozens of families seem to corroborate that claim.  I even asked for any negative experiences, and out of dozens of comments the worst it got was that they might tend to be a little on the overoptimistic side.  If we stick with the plan here, our surgeon will continue a course of dilations as needed, but with a gentler method of using balloon dilators to keep her just open enough for saliva to get through.  In a few months or a year, I think he will consider a resection of her esophagus, but that's not on the radar yet.  I am worried that a resection could result in a loss of her esophagus, because I read a study that said that in a patient three years later after a tight repair, the esophagus was still so tight it was "like a guitar string."  I am frustrated to think of the months ahead, constantly denying her food when she is so excited for eating, of her tears and frustration as she chokes and throws up every time she manages to snatch a bite of something she wants.  Our surgeon gently called it a time for tough love.  But it is so heartbreaking.  I look at her and I see a passionate little  Rapunzel from the Disney movie Tangled, singing, "When will my life begin?"
 Two more happy things: she was totally calm for her CT scan a few minutes ago (great news: no abscess!!) because they let her keep her fuzzy pink blanket that she has been sucking on for comfort all week--we have already snuck it away to wash it three times, haha!-- and I got to wear a hot pink sparkly lead jacket--GROOVY--my inner "hot 80s girl" approved. Plus yesterday Justin and I went to go downstairs for lunch and a volunteer was playing the grand piano and let me hop in and sing with her.  THAT felt SO great, and I felt like I was rockin' dat place with my classical soprano shtick.  Eeeeeven if nobody stopped as if to say, "wow she's so good!".... more like, "oh my gosh who is that lady embarrassing herself at the piano, I can't watch!"  Hahahah!


 

9 comments:

  1. Well even if they don't have more to offer in terms of treatments it might still be better to have them place a stent in needed because they have done that sort of thing a lot more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point, sis. I need to keep you around more. ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi Susie! This is the first time I've gotten on since being out of town. I have thought of you daily and although it looks like it's been a rough road, I'm glad the Chest tubes are out today and hope and pray that sunnier days are ahead! Just want you to know that I'm thinking of you and your sweet Audrey! Michele, RN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele! I hope you had a wonderful trip. Your support and care mean so much to our family! Thank you for your gentle and wonderful care of Audrey during some of her hardest days. You would be delighted to see how much her personality has come back.

      Delete
  3. Hey, Susie, glad to see you are blogging. It's been a little hard following on fb. So sorry your baby is faced with these things. Wish I had a magic wand for you, but then... how could the angels do their jobs? Your Audrey is an angel in her own right and doing HER job. Will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, it is wonderful to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to read the blog; some friends kind of twisted my arm into doing the blog last year (actually started it for me, adding in my facebook stuff) because it makes it much easier to get information out to many friends and family at once. I am trying hard to keep it updated because I want it to be not just for our family but also a resource of information for other families struggling with this same birth defect. When she was first diagnosed I went online and read everything I could find, and inevitably there was a ton of info covering the first few months of life but it basically evaporated after the connection surgery. I am hoping to follow this story through on the blog and provide a resource for other families in their own struggle to understand the problem. Thank you for your sweet words and prayers.

      Delete
  4. My boys keep asking to come back up. Collin wants to play that piano and Logan really wants to play withAudrey. We well have to plan another time. Keep singing girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what extraordinary kids Heather. You're doing something right. I can think of a whole lot of things other boys their age would rather be doing on a perfect day of summer vacation. We'd love to see you any time. Did you know that this Friday the SLC library is doing their annual (free) "stuffed animal sleepover"? Where the kids bring a stuffed animal and leave it at the library overnight, and on Sat morning the kids come back for a slideshow to see what mischief their animals got into overnight. I saw the slide show a couple of years back passed around on facebook and LOVED it. We went to the city center library for the first time ever on Saturday, and the amazing building alone had so much fun stuff to do, we didn't even have time for the books! :) Might be a fun way to combine activities for your kids, to take a field trip there.

      Delete
  5. You don't know me, but I found your blog on someone else's blog. I hope your baby girl is okay after her hospital stay. What a beautiful family you have!

    ReplyDelete