Flutter By

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Gingerbread

My beloved maternal grandmother just suffered a massive stroke.  She and grandpa were resting together on the couch in their home after a cup of tea, and when he awoke and discovered he could not rouse her.  Within hours, my paternal grandmother was also hospitalized with a bad infection in her leg.  

This was a hard day.  I was supposed to go see them for three weeks last summer during June, and instead Audrey was hospitalized for the entire month of June with a life threatening tear in her esophagus, and there has been of course no chance since then because we had to treat the scar tissue so quickly with the surgery to save her from closing off entirely, and a continuous battle ever since. I feel so frustrated. Thank goodness that they know I love them. I just wish I could SEE them and talk to them and make myself useful in the situation.

So, in a moment of mild madness I wrote this on my facebook page: 

What do you do when you are frustratingly stuck on one edge of the continent, where your medically fragile baby has been coughing all day with a bug (yet being an extra cute handful, dragging you all over the house), while both of your cherished grandmothers have been hospitalized in the past day on the opposite edge of the continent, and your husband and other four children are still nine states away? I'll tell you what you do. You christen the clean kitchen by baking Soft & Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies. And you consider the really important questions such as, is it better to use butter or shortening, and should I use Grandma's or Brer Rabbit Full Flavor Molasses. And you realize you probably went a liiiiittle overkill buying both kinds, considering the recipe takes 1/4 cup. And you let the baby empty all the cupboards in the kitchen, and you consume clumps of raw cookie dough and say to yourself "I'm gonna lose weight this year!" because hey, that's how we roll. 

 http://baking.food.com/recipe/gingersnaps-soft-chewy-234707

There are few things that a Michael Jackson dance party with your one year old can't fix.  Add cookie dough, and you're sure to beat it.  Just beat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment