Flutter By

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Whole Framily

Yesterday was supposed to be Audrey's major surgery in Boston.
Remarkably, I'm still here at home, and instead she'll be tested this Tuesday at Primary to see how much her esophagus is leaking. She's had ups and downs this winter so far but is really doing great. All week I've been feeling an incredible sense of gratitude, a heightened awareness of the good things in my life, like when you've been hungry for a very long time and then sit down to enjoy a simple meal and suddenly it's the best thing you've ever tasted. My eyes are open to a million small joys. Eden working on a coloring book as Audrey directs her to use different colors and exclaims, "It's so beautiful! Brown hair just like mine!" JJ and Aaron giving me random hugs and obediently doing the chores that I ask, the laughter we share over silly inside jokes, their enjoyment of the food I make. Eden teaching Audrey steps from her ballroom dance class. The ambient sounds of the toddlers playing together. Their begging me to read them a story and then bringing me an armful of books. Gideon jumping up and down after leading singing at Family Home Evening and begging for us to sing yet another song, then directing us not just with his arms but with a whole-on vigorous dance to lead us in the music.
Last Saturday, after dinner Justin and I were still sitting at the table talking after everyone had left, and Audrey came and snuggled into my lap and hugged me. Then she wiggled over onto Justin's lap and hugged him. She reached out and touched my fuzzy sweatshirt thoughtfully. I smiled at her and said, "Do you like my soft shirt, Audrey?" She looked directly in my eyes and said, "I like YOU, Mommy. I LOVE you. I love my WHOLE FRAMILY."
Both Justin and I had tears in our eyes and couldn't speak for a few moments. This 3 year old child has an old soul. A beautiful, regal, powerful soul. We are so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment