Flutter By

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

3 Days and Counting

Audrey and I will fly to Boston this coming Sunday morning.  That's three days away, and my emotions have been bobbing around like a kite in a gale.  How is it that I can trust in God so deeply, and yet manage to stress over the details the way I do?  He has provided everything we need for the moment.  People have helped us in so many ways, people who haven't even met us but felt moved by Audrey's story, people who haven't seen me in twenty years, people who have humble situations of their own and yet have given what they can.  There are no words sufficient to thank you.  As of today, I have a definite place to stay next week, a plane ticket, and a surgery schedule.  There is nothing in my suitcase yet, but each of the children has had some special one on one time with me in the past week, and my husband and I will go on our first date in a long time this Friday--I'm planning it as a surprise, nothing major but I hope he will love it.

Audrey loved her first visit to the water park!  I was so excited that I took her the same day her picc line dressing was finally ok to remove!
Next Wednesday, July 25, Dr Manfredi (the Gastroenterologist) will put her under anesthesia, look at her throat with a tiny camera, and attempt to cut out the scar tissue blocking her throat in an innovative procedure using a tiny knife down her throat.  The risks are very serious.  Her tear has barely healed, and the healed area is very fragile and could very easily reopen.  Our urgency over the surgery was caused by her backing up saliva, but ever since you prayed for her last week, she has stopped for the time being.  That has been a huge blessing, allowing us to relax slightly and enjoy some time together as a family.  My husband's work schedule has been insane lately, and unfortunately he has had to go in some extra hours on the weekends in addition to long days during the week, but it's ok-- we are so grateful to have a job right now, when so many people are struggling without one.  I just need to keep breathing deeply, and counting our blessings instead of all the things I don't know and can't control.

A friend sent me this quote from a beloved former president of my church:
“It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It all works out in the end. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us.”
― Gordon B. Hinckley


"How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord, is laid for your faith in his excellent word!
What more can He say than to you He hath said, who unto the Savior for refuge hath fled?
In every condition, in sickness in health, in poverty's vale or abounding in wealth,
At home or abroad, on the land or the sea, as thy days may demand so thy succor shall be.
Fear not, I am with thee, oh be not dismayed, for I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand, upheld by My righteous omnipotent hand. 
“When through the deep waters I call thee to go, The rivers of sorrow shall not thee o'erflow;
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless, And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.
When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie, My grace all-sufficient shall be thy supply;
The flame shall not hurt thee; I only design, Thy dross to consume, and thy gold to refine.
The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose, I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes:
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake, I'll never - no, never, no, never forsake!” 
                                                                                                        -attr. R. Keen

3 comments:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes.

    I will miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie, thank you for your uplifting words and your heroic spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. susie- i don't know if you remember me but i was a PICU nurse that floated up to the surgical unit about a month ago when audrey was still inpatient. i could tell that you had both been through the ringer and listened to your story and told you to follow your instincts as a mother to do what you thought was best for audrey. you were so were so nice to give me a note card (with a thank you card for ME no less) with audrey's picture and blog information so that i could follow what was going on. i could tell when i was listening and speaking with you that audrey would always be ok because she had a tiger of a mother watching out for her best interests. hang in there.. i could tell from the moment i met you both that you were both fighters.

    ReplyDelete