Flutter By

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Our "All Girls Club" of Broken Bones

We've always had strong bones in our family. Seriously, we go through a gallon of milk in one day at our house.  Never a broken bone in any of us, nope, not ever, our entire lives.  Well, Audrey broke that perfect record back in February, and it seems to have set a trend.  Her broken elbow from February healed beautifully and she has been playing along merrily this spring, but to our dismay our other daughter, 12 year old Eden, had an unlucky fall last week in the backyard and managed to break her left wrist.  The bone was twisted badly and the setting of it was enormously painful for her, but the doctor got it set and casted in the office, only to discover two weeks later at her followup x-ray that the bone had slipped out of alignment again and would need to be re-set under anesthesia.
At Eden's followup x ray, Audrey was fascinated to see the process from the outside for a change!

At least I have been able to be home continuously for a few weeks so I could help with this stuff, thanks to Dr Manfredi's willingness to let us try a low-key dilation in Utah between visits to Boston, making it possible for me to be part of my children's end of school year stuff.  Here was my entry for May 29:

MAY 29
Two wonderful days volunteering at the schools and enjoying the end of year stuff for my kids; today I was in charge of the muddy slooshy water station at the boys' field day for three hours and had a blast. In the morning the kids have just a couple hours of school for their final day, and Eden will perform in the elementary school dance festival for her seventh and final time! Going to be an emotional goodbye to the neighborhood school we've grown to love so much, and next year she'll go to a different school than her friends so that makes it a double whammy. Today after school she had an ice cream party with five girlfriends and I got some darling pictures of them being silly as only young girls know how! Then we raced over to her ortho appointment for her second followup x-ray on her arm and learned to our shock and dismay that her arm bone has re broken, and she will require minor surgery on it tomorrow under anesthesia. They tried to schedule it for the morning and I begged them to wait till afternoon so she wouldn't miss her final hurrah at elementary school; just means she'll have to keep fasting all morning till we report at the hospital tomorrow afternoon. There is some strange irony in the fact that I was supposed to be taking my other daughter on a plane tomorrow for surgery of her own in Boston, but insisted that I needed to stay here to attend Eden's last day instead. Very glad I will be here for this even bigger day than expected, man, but crazy that I'll be going to the hospital after all. If you see Eden please give her an extra hug. She is very frightened and I'm so glad there are so many nice things to distract her.
*****************************************************************************
 
I sweet talked them into letting me take her back into the operating room, it is helping her feel much less scared about going under general anesthesia. She has asked so many questions and talked so much to the doctors and nurses I think we threw of their schedule a wee bit, but she needed to understand very clearly every aspect of what was going to happen to her.

MAY 30:
Eden is out of surgery, no pins or incisions were needed to put the bones back in alignment. (Yay!!) She has been talking to me nonstop about the sensation of going under and coming out of anesthesia. One of the first things out of her mouth was "poor Audrey! I would go crazy if I had to do that over and over again."

AND THEN....
Audrey broke her own wrist, June 20, story coming up.  And I broke my finger in mid July.  We girls just wanna have fun.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment