Flutter By

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Re-casting in a Sunnier Hue



Rats. Double break near wrist. At least it's aligned already. 4 weeks in a cast, the doctor estimates.
JUNE 20: Woke up today, made breakfast and took Eden to the ortho for her follow-up. Audrey came for fun and I narrowly prevented her from falling off the high exam bed while Eden was in getting xrayed and I was thinking how ironic that would be, to have Audrey break a bone in their office. In two weeks Eden gets to lose the cast at last and wear a removable splint for two final weeks, making eight total of her arm in a restraint. Came home, made lunch, and had an appointment for Audrey with her Early intervention therapist. Put her down for nap, started her feeding pump, started Eden on her chores which meant first cleaning their bedroom. Audrey wanted to get out of bed to check out what big sister was doing, and for the first time ever, she did get out of bed, all on her own, face planting onto the floor from the wall of her crib. G tube ripped out of her belly, glorious fun. Sister and Mama comfort, re insert tube, good as new, back to bed. Two hours later, Audrey's up from nap and sweaty and crying "owie" and favoring her wrist. Then as she wakes up fully and gets some good story time in with me and her big brothers, she perks up and starts acting fine, using that hand and even putting weight on it, though every now and then she suddenly looks at me with a serious expression and holds up her wrist for a kiss. After discussing with Justin whether to take her in we decide to go forward with or planned picnic dinner at the BYU Belltower Carillon concert. We have a little nice family time and I decide I'll take her to urgent care as soon as we get home, since they can x-ray it there. I grab my purse and go to move her to the car and she arches her back when I try to put her in her car seat because she doesn't want to leave daddy. Suddenly Justin is saying to take her into the ortho tomorrow because if it is broken the Urgent Care will just tell me to take her to the ortho tomorrow anyway, so since I'm tired and they're both fighting me I give up. It's now 8:40. 10 minutes later Justin changes his mind and decides to take her in himself, but he gets there two minutes after they close. Meanwhile I take the kids who want to and go spend a wonderful thirty minutes with some friends around the corner, their daughter Kelsey I've had the great privilege of watching grow up here since she was Eden's age, and tonight we watched her open her mission call! It was an emotional time of all the good kinds. I'm going to Boston next week for Audrey's next surgery, tomorrow I'll have to have her wrist looked at, and Friday is an important appointment with her dietition. But what I really want to do is go on strike from medical drama, it's been summer for three weeks and we've done nothing but uber fun medical drama, I just want to say enough is enough, for a while at least I don't want to see any more doctors! Except the one I just met for the first time this week. The one with the trench coat and Tardis. Him I need to see much much more.

Cast Twins! Two girls, five months, three broken arms, all on the left side. What are the chances? Life at our house is just tooooo much fun! Eden gets her cast cut off today and will wear a brace for a couple more weeks, and the two girls should get their arms free the same week mid July.
 
Playing with brother just after she came home from getting her cast.  Her endurance for this medical stuff is pretty amazing.  She takes it all in stride, and then hurries back to playing.

 

Cute moment playing with her brother Aaron: Audrey spoke her most complicated sentence yet, holding up her arm, "Aaron kiss my yellow cast."
 She is so proud of her yellow cast. 
And if all goes according to schedule, both girls could get their casts off the same week, how totally crazy is that?? We had a s'mores campfire tonight and at dusk I was joking with Justin about one perk of the situation--at least it will be easy to find the baby, her yellow cast almost glows in the dark!!
 And last but not least, this day would not be complete without telling
 The Miracle of the Stairwell  
 (swelling music)
Seriously??? I feel like a one note Nellie, singing the same song day after day!! But now you really will not believe what just happened! You know how people say three times the charm??? This was the third broken bone for the girls in under six months, but right after I got home from getting Audrey's cast, unbelievably Eden managed to trip just wrong and fell 10 feet down our root cellar stairwell. Impossibly, she landed evenly on her feet, and was fine. We were both stunned and shaking, I held her for a couple minutes and we both just cried and hugged with gratitude. 
This is the stairwell Eden managed to fall into.  Right after we returned from getting Audrey's cast on, Eden was walking towards the kitchen window, tripped just wrong and fell over that wall. I just knew I was going to find her in a bloody heap at the bottom, but unbelievably she had landed perfectly and was fine. Pretty shaken up but fine. This is my same girl that broke her arm just falling off a chair, go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment