Flutter By

Friday, April 12, 2013

April 12 Dilation

morning:
 I have to switch Audrey's feeding pump from formula to Pedialyte at midnight on the nights before surgery, so it makes for some pretty long travel days, but on the plus side, a tired mind can do some pretty funny stuff. For example, first I dreamed that I was laying on a beach in the sun, and I suddenly thought oh no! I have to wake up! I forgot to put on sunblock! Then I dreamed that I was watching a faceoff between Orlando Bloom as Legolas (from Lord of the Rings) and David Bowie as Jareth (from Labyrinth). They were having a kicking match to settle the issue of who had the most fashionable pair of tall leather boots. I have admired the tights with tall boots look on women in Boston, and just this past week I scored a pair of tall black boots at Savers. I think I'm getting a message from my subconscious: on stressful days, dress to kill. And wear sunblock.

afternoon:
Surgery went very well. Doctor M did a lot of cutting inside her esophagus, also did some localized steroid injections and a balloon dilation. He opened her to about 11 or 12mm. Audrey is awake and doing great! We should be discharged soon and will take a bus back to where we're staying to rest.  It has been another day full of good things: incredibly kind nurses (who gave her a beautiful Disney Princess balloon and lots of cute attention), wonderful visits with friends, three found pennies, and nice compliments on my "tall boots" outfit. ;-) 

Audrey was feeling so well after surgery that it worked out to visit some of our special EA friends in the hospital.  We loved seeing our friends Amy and her daughter who are also from Utah! As well as Deb from child life and a special nurse Jenn, and our Amish friends from upstate New York Katie Ann and her little son Amos, who struggles with tremendous complications from both EA/TEF and Down Syndrome, and has been in the hospital continuously for his 2.5 years of life but is close to being able to go home for a "break" (even though doctors have been unsuccessful at repairing his esophagus). I cannot over credit the joy and lift that it gives me to meet amazing people like these families in the course of this adventure.


Then to top off our day, Audrey ravenously ate a big dinner of cut up mac n cheese, an entire little jar of applesauce, and even a few excited bites of yogurt, a food she used to vehemently refuse but could aid her big time in getting the nutrition she needs to get off the feeding pump. 

No comments:

Post a Comment