Flutter By

Friday, July 19, 2013

Bacon, Eggs, and a Fullness of Joy


I have so much on my mind today, and so many irons in the fire, but I've just learned that some of our friends are having a very rough time and really needed to hear some good news, so here are some beautiful things I just have to tell.  I was just reminded that four years ago today my sweet best friend Julie passed away from brain cancer. While yes that must sound sad at first, you would see what I mean how beautiful a gift it is to be reminded of her today, if I could just begin to explain what a great gift her friendship has been in my life, what a living wonderful sister-like friend she is to me. I have felt her and know she lives on, and was recently reminded of something she said to me that seemed odd at the time but has since come to mean so much to me. Once when she was beginning to be very ill she had a sudden moment of clarity and looked at me with her intense blue eyes and said, "I think you're already a superstar." She knew of my dreams to study dance and music, to write great books that would be remembered, to make some sort of great mark on the world and how ordinary, inadequate, even useless I sometimes felt, so that moment touched me deeply. During that summer I spent every spare minute by her side doing everything I could think to do to help her, and since then I have had two back to back pregnancies, the first which hemorrhaged in the first trimester and nearly miscarried but managed to cling to life, carry to term and blossom into my adorable joy-filled Gideon. The second pregnancy though easy at first, half killed me in the second half with the unrelenting pressure of three times the amniotic fluid I should have carried, then sweet Audrey had her own huge battle to fight these past two years with countless lifesaving medical interventions in her struggle to be physically capable of eating, but I have to tell you, by golly, this morning SHE ATE BACON AND EGGS, and smiled and laughed and filled us all with joy! I have SO many blessings to thank heaven for. Everyone reading this, thank you, you all have been such a support, absolutely vital to our survival through this past four years, God bless you and thank you!!!! Four years ago, my world was relatively small, and now our friends and family and experiences stretch across the Earth. Thank you, family, friends, cheerleaders of all kinds with your prayers both loud and silent, for your love and friendship and kindness. I feel deeply blessed to know you. Keep up the good fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment