Flutter By

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Afternoon Update

This is the stent Dr Skarda took out of her esophagus today. He replaced it with an identical one that he wants to keep in nine days more.


What a morning!! Fun times with Audrey, a good change in our OR report time, rehearsing my challenging choir music in the hospital room with a borrowed keyboard, a hug from wonderful Amy, fantastic lunch of Thai food from the amazing Kira, big pow wow with Dr Skarda where we learned the leak is still there but her esophagus looks healthy and strong, no erosion, so back in goes the stent, this time the plan is to leave it on for the next nine days. When and if during that time we feel she's ready to come home to wait, she can come home, but I don't feel that she's ready just yet. Waiting, hoping, thankful for friends nearby and for those cheering us from afar. Justin is adjusting to domestic life by canning pears and harvesting honey. I plan to travel home this afternoon once Audrey is ok, attend rehearsal tool nine, sleep in my own bed if I'm too tired to drive the hour back up, and return in the morning. Maybe I can even take kids to school.


This is an x-Ray showing the liquid contrast going down her throat just now in the OR, showing that the leak has not yet healed. Looking at the place where the leak provides a new smaller side path for the stuff to go down the outside of her esophagus, I just can't resist the terrible pun that comes to mind: it took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.


I feel like such a jerk driving south without my baby.... there's also that crazy Rip van Winkle effect-- summer has come and gone while I've been inside those walls. But I have to say our children's hospital has a lot of class, in tons of ways but specifically have to brag that not only is parking free but valet parking for patients is free, and none of the valet attendants accept tips. If you try to tip them they will suggest you make a donation to the hospital instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment