Flutter By

Friday, October 4, 2013

Yikes! Surprise Homecoming

Major change today: Dr Skarda talked Justin into Audrey coming home on an IV (picc line) antibiotics and TPN, with nothing allowed by mouth or G tube until at least next Friday when she'll go back in for stent removal. I should be so happy to have my family getting back together at home, and instead I'm a nervous wreck. A busy two year old in our busy household with an IV pole, and no snacks or drinks allowed, is not a recipe for success.... I was able to wrangle permission to have her on it only fourteen hours a day, because I only trust it strictly in her crib or in arms. Feeling like we kind of went from the frying pan to the fire, but grateful we'll be together as a family tonight.  

It definitely simplifies LDS General Conference weekend, which is always a special family time. And Birgitte if you're reading this, my hope is rekindled that I can come to your art show this evening. We should also hopefully still be able to do our traditional family hike to light the Y on the mountain for homecoming week next Tuesday night. Just trying to breathe right now. Our accident last weekend with the picc line, on top of her being so miserable and needy 24 hours a day really rattled me. Glad Justin will be here to help, hopefully all week, thanks to the government shutdown.

To my friend Rosa who freaked out on my behalf about her coming home with an IV pole I said, "This is what I get for leaving for a day, right? hahah!"  Crazy, I'm very stressed. I thought I was very clear when I talked to everyone, that she should never have an IV pole at home when she is out of bed. I think, I HOPE, we have a reasonable compromise. When I said fourteen hours maximum that I could have her on it safely (they initially wanted eighteen) I meant twelve in bed for the night and two for nap, except they came back and said ok, but it had to be all in one block. Sigh. Dr Skarda said if I feel like it just is not working out, I should call him and they can have her back in the hospital, no problem. Justin said she is tired but feeling herself, no pain meds today (wow!) so that helps my feelings a lot. 

Audrey brushing Daddy's hair. In one tiny corner of the universe, one household is very thankful for the government shutdown. He has been working six long days a week for months on end, and the government employee furlough could not have come at a better time as Audrey has needed a lot of individual parent help this past two weeks, and after a week in the hospital I was running on empty. Instead of feeling like I'm holding up the planet alone, this week I have instead been able to get over a cold, focus on the uplifting messages of LDS General Conference over the weekend, and give more attention to the other four children. In fact, Audrey's "Superman" has handled the whole IV enchilada. I actually fell asleep during the nurse teaching us how to do it at our house at 10:30pm the night she got home, it was so embarassing but I was absolutely exhausted. Seeing this kindly, over the coming week Justin did nearly every. Single. Treatment. If only we had a way for him to be home with us all the time and somehow still make a reliable living... when he goes back we will be sad. Thankful, but sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment