Flutter By

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

She Wants Daddy Back, but Sunlight and Hugs Help in the Meantime

She has finally turned the corner so I can share how worried I've been; the past two days Audrey has been depressed! Even though she has been getting so much better, lost her chest tube and even her oxygen support, she just had no interest in anything. Not reaching for things, not smiling or talking or even reacting to people or toys, completely apathetic except to cry in worry every time a nurse approached. I was getting really worried and exhausted with the stress of trying to help her be happy. And then, today like magic, she turned the corner a little after I took her outdoors for the first time since surgery. There is a garden courtyard in the center of the hospital with a lovely space of grass and there was a lunchtime jazz concert today. I took her to it and she just stared around without smiling or reacting, but I know it did a lot of good for her. When I brought her back up we snuggled for a while, and after a short nap she started showing interest in toys and mischief again. At one point, she even said "ducky." But by far best of all, she started giggling again! She must have giggled twenty times while playing (for he first real time) with her toys and balloon. Best sound ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment