Flutter By

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

June 21

So happy to have my mom's company for a week! She had a plane ticket that had to be used by the end of this month, and I was the lucky beneficiary of her valuable time. A good visit with baby, tried non-nutritive feeding again (where I pump just before trying breastfeeding her, just to teach her the process so that when she is finally able to eat for real, hopefully it won't be so strange to her). I had been worried she was losing her root reflex, but to my relief she proved me wrong. She was uncomfortable lying on her left side, the arm that has both her pic line and her calcium burn in the hand, and rooted only halfheartedly in between crying, so I tried switching sides, and she calmed right down, rooted, latched on with a gentle "I'm full but this is comforting" type of suck, and fell into a comfortable sleep for a few minutes. When a little of my milk let down briefly, she stopped sucking and just thought about it. That is exactly what the doctors want, because of course they are anxious to protect her airways and prevent her from aspirating milk, and don't want her actually swallowing milk.

She got a fun time on the floor mat with her Occupational Therapist, Kiley! Great pics.


Audrey met all of her milestones, following an object with her head and eyes, moving her muscles well, etc.

She is tasting her lips after having a taste of strawberry chapstick. Oral stimulation can help prevent the food aversion that plagues many NICU babies.

One sad thing, she is coughing and gagging a lot. She scared us by coughing up thick brown mucous. Why is this suddenly happening?

No comments:

Post a Comment